This little guide shall show how to record demos, how to find them once you've finished recording and how you can view them.
1) In order to get started, you need to activate the console. Access the main menu or press ESC in-game. Click Options --> Game Options and activate the console.
2) You can now activate the console in-game by pressing the console key, which is located just beneath ESC.
3) Enter /record into the console to start recording a demo. If you want your demo to have a specific name, for example in order to remember whom or what you recorded, use /record DEMONAME instead.
4) When done with the recording, either leave the server or enter /stoprecord into the console.
5) You can now retrieve the demo from your Call of Duty 4 directory, in the /main/demos folder. If you recorded a demo on a modded server, then the directory is /mods/MODNAME/demos.
6) You can watch the demos using the following methods:
- a) Enter /demo DEMONAME into the console.
- b) The more convenient method is using a little program called Cod4Player. You can associate demo files with it by default, which makes playing the demos a lot easier. Also, it allows you to use third person from different angles, toggle HUD, UAV or the devmode (a built-in "wallhack") and, most notably, play the demo in different speeds which you can adjust in the program. If you want to play a demo of a mod, you need to specify this mod on the "Setup" screen prior to playing the demo.
In order to save time, you can also bind the /record and /stoprecord
commands to a certain key, e.g. by entering /bind K record and /bind L stoprecord into the console.
How to open a demo after recording:
Copy the demo file you saved with /record command from C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\main\demos (or whatever directory you use)
Create a new folder inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players called demos and paste the demo inside (ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\demos) (this will make it so you don't need cod4 player)
However if you don't see the players folder or the main folder (YOU MUST SHOW HIDDEN FILES TO SEE THIS>>) etc go to
C:\Program Files\User\(Your computer user)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare ...and follow the above steps with this directory instead.
Some useful commands when watching a demo
(in devmode-CHEAT MODE/OWN SERVER)--->steps
1. devmap mp_showdown (This sets sv_cheats to 1)
2. /demo nameoftherecordeddemo
3. r_fullbright 1 (gives a Cartoon look)
4. cg_enemyNameFadeOut 900000 (Enemy names wont fade out through walls)
5. cg_enemyNameFadeIn 0 (This sets the nametags to have a 0 fade in time)
6. cg_drawThroughWalls 1 (draws names through walls)
7. cg_drawfriendlynames 1 = (draws teamates names through walls)
8. r_znear 35 ( This makes Walls disappear at close range)
THESE COMMANDS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY ENABLED CHEATS during the same session by using devmode (hence the devmap mp_showdown earlier)